Dad picked up this Catoma EBNS (Enhanced Bed Net System) and we've been trying it out along the Roanoke River.
The Catoma was used and we saw that some repair was needed before any fielding. For example, the stake-out loops on the rainfly had been ripped out, the guy-out loops on the rainfly had been ripped almost completely out, the seam tape needed to be completely replaced, and so on.
Pictured above is some of the damage from the rips. Both front stake-out loops had been ripped out. One of the guy out loops had been ripped out as well.
Not the best sew in the history of mankind but this will do for now. I will most likely add Seam Grip to the back of the threads to add more strength to the seam.
The seam tape on the rainfly pulled effortlessly away. A positive is that the backing pulled away but left most of the adhesive in place.
Replacing the seam tape was a breeze and took about 45 minutes. After sewing the rips and adding paracord loops, replacing the seam tape and adding additional stakeout loops, I now have a fully functional rain fly.
At a purchase price of $45 we knew that these repairs were well within our capabilities and that we couldn't pass up on this Wolverine EBNS system at that price.
Dad made a few mods that I think really improved the overall usefulness to this Catoma EBNS such as adding a ridgeline, adding additional guy-out loops and even showing how the rainfly can be used as a stand-alone shelter. Did you know that you could do that? This system is ideal for when you need something bigger than a bivy sack but a bit lighter weight than another military tent like the TCOP (Tent Combat One Person).
- NSN 3740-01-518-7310
- Sleeps 1 person
- Weight: 30 oz. / .85 kg
- Floor area: 15.7 sq.ft. / 1.46 m2
- Center height: 26" / 66 cm
- Floor length: 90"
- Floor material: 70 Denier 1.9 oz. ripstop nylon
- Mesh material: 20 Denier no-see-um
- Pole material: 0.134" diameter pultruded fiberglass
- Number of doors: 2
- Packed dimensions: 13" x 13" x 3" / 33cm x 33cm x 7.5cm
Proven Military Toughness and Performance
Built-In, Double Insect Protection
The popup features a specially designed mesh body that allows ventilation and keeps out insects. The mesh body is treated with Permethrin, a synthetic chrysanthemum pollen, which is engineered to repel insects of all kinds. By combining the physical protection of the mesh with Permethrin, Catoma has created the ultimate insect-proof bed net.
Instant Set-Up & Twist and Go Re-Pack
The patented technology is unlike the traditional tent configuration that relies on a tent body and separate poles. This tent is given its efficient structure by a single pultruded fiberglass rod that winds through the tent body. As soon as the tent strap is removed, the tent pops up, and set-up is complete. To pack-up, simply fold, overlap and twist, and secure with the strap. You're back on the trail in seconds.
- Effortless setup in the dark or in inclement weather
- Corner buckles and center strap for cot attachment
- Small package size fits easily into a pack
- Storage pocket inside for smaller gear
- Double doors allow for entry and exit from either side
- CPAI-84 Fire Retardant Rated
- Lifetime warranty
- American made - assembled by American veterans
GEAR (Amazon Affiliate)
- Catoma Adventure Shelters EBNS (Enhanced BedNet System) Coyote Brown: https://amzn.to/2OqgBOq
- Catoma Wolverine Rain Fly kit: https://amzn.to/2ARIwin
- Catoma Wolverine Ground Sheet: https://amzn.to/2Vy1kg9
- Catoma Burrow Ground Sheet: https://amzn.to/30XWJ7Y
- Catoma Burrow: https://amzn.to/30Rz6xK
- Catoma Badger: https://amzn.to/2APnPDw
- Catoma Gopher Tarp: https://amzn.to/2nqLh6Y
- Catoma Raider: https://amzn.to/2Vvpcks